Golf Stretches From Your Chiropractor
Golf is a sport enjoyed by many individuals, and as with all sports, it is very important that we stretch before hitting the golf course or driving range. Below are some stretches that I recommend all golfers do to loosen up and prevent any injuries from occurring during play.
Stretches for a Good Swing Follow Through
- Stand with the feet shoulder-width apart and fold your arms across your chest.
- Bend your knees and lean forward slightly.
- Rotate your trunk in your backswing motion.
- Continue from the top of your backswing to your follow through position.
Hip Flexor Stretches
- Plant your golf club vertically in front of you, gripping the top with your hands and keeping your arms stretched out straight in front of you.
- Plant one foot firmly on the ground in front of you and move the other foot backward, keeping the leg straight.
- Keeping your back straight, slowly bend your front knee and lean your hips forward in a smooth motion, stretching your leg from your back foot.
- Try to keep your back heel on the ground and your knee over your front foot (be careful not to bring your front knee past your front foot).
- Repeat this stretch with the other leg.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and plant your golf club vertically in front of you, with the head on the ground for support.
- Bend your left leg, bringing the foot up behind you and secure it with your hand.
- Pull the foot up gently until you feel the stretch.
- Hold the position for 15-20 seconds.
- Release the back leg and repeat the motion with the opposite foot.
- Hold your arm in front of you with your palm facing down.
- Keep the elbow straight and gently pull your wrist up by grabbing the tops of your fingers.
- Relax your grip and return to your original position, keeping your arm stretched out in front of you with your palm facing down.
- Keeping the elbow straight gently pull your wrist in a downward motion with your opposite hand.
Trunk Upper Body Stretches
- Grip the golf club with both hands in front of your chest.
- Plant your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Rotate your torso slowly to the right and hold the stretch.
- Repeat motion in the opposite direction.
- Grip your club horizontally in front of you with your hands spaced shoulder-width apart.
- Raise your arms straight up above your head.
- From the hips, slightly bend to one side and hold your stretch.
- From the raised arm position, repeat the stretch going in the opposite direction.
- Place both hands against a tree at chest level and stand arms length away.
- Keep one foot on the ground and move the opposite foot behind you, keeping the knee straight.
- Try to touch your back heel to the ground.
- Do not bounce, and hold the stretch.
- Repeat the stretch with the opposite leg.